Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Mini Review)

Sunday, June 18, 2017
Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary/LGBTQIA+
Page Length: 320 pages
Publisher: Balzer + Bray



About Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (via Goodreads):


Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.



With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.
Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda was an absolute delight to read. Becky had me laughing out loud on too many occasions to count, while also making me shed some tears.

I'm not usually one to call people "precious cinnamon rolls" or any of that stuff, but I can see how that applies to this book. Simon and Blue were just so freaking adorable and I was smiling from ear-to-ear whenever they interacted (and especially when they finally met IRL). Although I had a suspicion as to who Blue was from relatively early on (and I was ultimately right), Becky definitely made sure to throw some curveballs that completely threw me off guard and made me question my guess throughout the story.

Honestly, all the characters were so relatable and realistic (more so than any I've ever seen) and I instantly fell in love with all of them (even all the secondary characters were so precious and wonderful, including Simon's ridiculously awkward and lovable parents)!

Overall this book was so cute and heartwarming (and also important!), and now I understand why everyone loves it so much because I love it too *clutches all the characters protectively to my chest* I just want to hug them all and have them be my best friends.

My Rating: 4 stars



No comments :

Post a Comment